Monday, May 20, 2013

A Different Kind of Dragon

I am a D&D and fantasy nerd in my free time, but I get paid to be a space nerd, which is also really cool! For this week's Make-it Monday, I decided to finally tackle a project that has been sitting on my shelf since Christmas. Rocket Claus paid a visit to my desk at work last year and left me a Dragon in a box... well, a Dragon and a Falcon. Not the sort that knights might try to poke with pointy things, nor that wizards might converse with in secret languages. No, this is a flyable model of SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket and the Dragon spacecraft that sits on top of it.

The glue was still drying, so I couldn't pack the chutes yet.

Dragon capsule

Bit of nerd trivia:
The Falcon 9 is named after a ship that made the Kessel Run in under 12  parsecs

For those who are not familiar, SpaceX is the private American rocket company started by Elon Musk back in 2002. Musk is also one of the co-founders of PayPal, and the founder of Tesla Motors. He is my favorite of the next wave of transportation tycoons jockeying to fill the void left by the Space Shuttle's retirement. The Falcon and Dragon have already made several unmanned supply runs to the International Space Station, and are currently undergoing safety review to certify it for flying astronauts.

Oh, and the Falcon 9 is also being modified to be fully reusable! As in it will land on its tail, Buck Rogers style! Check it out! This test flight gives me shivers every time!


1 comment: