Friday, May 24, 2013

Ira Glass: On Storytelling

While we're on the subject of inspiration, I thought I'd share this series of videos that Emma Coats (@lawnrocket) shared to Twitter this morning. The videos came as a big help to me, as I was facing a deadline on an article that I was really feeling crappy about.

In the videos, Ira Glass, creator of This American Life talks about what makes a good story and offers some encouragement for those of us who might feel like our storytelling skills are sucking at any given point in time.

If you are looking for inspiration, you might also want to check out Emma Coats' Story Shots Tumbr. She has a great take on the basics of a good story learned during her time at Pixar.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

1 comment:

  1. These were fun and inspiring. Thanks for sharing. I keep the transcripted quote from the third video up to keep me motivated when my writing frustrates me.

    ReplyDelete