Monday, August 1, 2011

Scribble and/or Edit


Okay party people, being a combination movie and book nerd (Are you reading this, Olivia!?), I have decided to jump on Scribble & Edit's Novel Films blogfest. The festival asks participants to list all of the books/plays/comics that they have read that have also been turned into movies that they have seen. So, here goes mine...

  • The Lord of the Rings trilogy
  • The Harry Potter series
  • Dune - The TOOTH!
  • Tarzan - These books were my first foray into fantasy novels
  • The Three Musketeers - The Disney movie is entirely different from the book, but enjoyable, nonetheless.
  • Pride and Prejudice - I am confident in my masculinity!
  • X-Men - Comics are tough to judge, because the movies typically span and warp several storylines
  • The Watchmen
  • Lone Ranger and Tonto, Fistfight in Heaven - Smoke Signals
  • Animal Farm
  • Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH - Secret of NIMH
  • Watership Down
  • Don Juan - Don Juan de Marco (It's a stretch, I know!)
  • Angela's Ashes
  • Heart of Darkness - Apocalypse Now
  • The Time Machine
  • The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
  • The Golden Compass - Despite everyone's legitimate issues, I enjoyed the movie!
  • Jurassic Park
  • The Scarlet Letter
  • The Last of the Mohicans - James Fenimore Cooper is an intolerable author, but the movie was entertaining
  • Of Mice and Men - Both the Malkovich/Senise version and the multitude of Looney Toons references. "I shall mash him and pet him and name him George!"
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Edit 1
  • The Neverending Story - I can't believe I forgot this on the initial list!
  • Like Water for Chocolate - Read it over Thanksgiving, DELICIOUS!
  • The English Patient - The book was far better than the movie
Edit 2
  • Little Shop of Horrors - Now here's an interesting case of a movie turned into a play, turned back into a movie.
  • Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead - Tom Stoppard as portrayed by Tim Roth and Gary Oldman? Awesome!
  • Death of a Salesman - Though I'm honestly not a huge fan of the material, I do often find myself worrying about turning into Willy Loman.

Shakespearean plays deserve their own subsection!

  • Romeo & Juliet - both Franco Zeffirelli's and Baz Luhrmann's versions
  • Hamlet - Both the Kenneth Branagh version and Strange Brew!
  • Henry V
  • Richard III
  • Twelfth Night
  • Macbeth - Scotland P.A. is my favorite movie reimagining of Shakespeare's work, EVER!
  • A Midsummer Night's Dream
  • Taming of the Shrew - Both the Liz Taylor version and 10 Things I Hate About You
Okay, that is the list I can come up with off the top of my head. I'm sure there are some missing, so I may make some supplemental posts later.

I will close with the inclusion of the trailer for the soon-to-be-released The Pirates! in an Adventure with Scientists. If you haven't read the book yet, go read it now! I have to admit the movie trailer makes me a bit nervous. I am encouraged by the fact that Gideon Defoe worked directly on the film and I like Aardman's other stuff... but still.


9 comments:

  1. Wow, you're the only other person to put Smoke Signals on their list. I love that movie and the short stories. And good for you being man enough to admit you like Pride and Prejudice. Both great.

    I didn't do any Shakespeare this time. I was going to includ The Merchant of Venice with Al Pacino playing Shylock, but I figured most people hadn't seen it.

    Love your list. Good picks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice list!

    Am I the only one who hasn't read and seen Pride and Prejudice? :P I didn't really like the book, hence I never watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ^^^ I haven't seen Pride and Prejudice, either. :)

    I love 10 Things I Hate About You, and all the Shakespeare references you can find once you realize what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest, I think Pride and Prejudice was a high school English class requirement for both the movie and the book.

    L.G. I loved the Loan Ranger and Tonto book, and also greatly enjoyed Smoke Signals. I believe it was the first major motion picture directed by a Native American with a Native American cast.

    Also, I realized I forgot to include The Neverending Story in my initial list. The book is AWESOME, in part because the second half deals with Bastion's corruption caused by his powers!

    I also also forgot, Like Water for Chocolate and The English Patient. I disliked the movie adaptation of the English Patient because I felt like it marginalized the story of Kip, the Sikh sapper who was my favorite character in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, if any of you haven't seen Scotland PA, see it! Macbeth set in the 1970s fast food industry with Christopher friggin' Walken as MacDuff! OMG! SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    Great list, just a few I wouldn't give tuppence for either the book or the movie! ;)

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last of the Mohicans was good. I read the others in the series, which I found very interesting. I bought antique hard bound copies of those books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's a nice big list. Thanks for sharing, and I'll have my own up soon.

    If you get a chance, check out a fellow writer's zombie story and help me make him wear an embarrassing shirt next year! It's the ultimate grudge match between social media and the zombies. Details are here:
    http://kelworthfiles.wordpress.com/2011/07/19/prove-the-zombies-wrong-social-platforms-can-build-readership/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list. I didn't know Of Mice & Men was a film version. I loved Aardman films, have sent the link to my friends Great list. Thanks for taking part :O)

    ReplyDelete