Monday, November 11, 2013

Make-its of Days Past: Map, Ulrich's Pass

Life came on pretty strong this past week. The Wife has been down for the count with a wicked cold, and I have been doing my best to keep up with the weekly chores so she can rest. Of course we didn't actually get much resting done, as we just put an offer on a house this weekend and had it accepted! Holy crap, now we're in the inspection and Escrow scramble.

The point being, I didn't have time to really make anything new this past week. That's not to say I didn't put time into keeping my make-it resolution going. I did put an hour or two worth of work into figuring out an approach to making SketchUp videos for gamers, and I am cultivating ideas on that front, but I didn't end up producing anything worth sharing from the effort. The Wife also got into the make-it act after getting bored with lying around, watching TV (and buying houses). She picked up a paintbrush and applied a base coat of grey paint to an entire set of the Dwarven Forge tiles that I started recently.

So, as a consolation prize for not finishing anything new this week, I give you another map from my very first DM binder. I don't even remember what Ulrich's Pass was supposed to be for, but I definitely dig the topographical feel. Also, hex paper! I found a whole huge sheaf of the stuff in the binder. I distinctly remember struggling to form my opinions on the usefulness of hex vs. square paper back in my 2e days. I definitely dig hex for regional maps like this one, but still prefer quad-rule for dungeons or other tactical maps.


3 comments:

  1. So are the blue dotted areas glaciers? Also I agree with you on hex for landscape maps & quad for tactical. There's just nothing quite so annoying as drawing/navigating a straight hallway rendered in hex :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the blue dots are glaciers or mountain snow lines. The "x"s are the peaks on the mountains.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the house! Brace yourself for more new than you can handle. It's never as easy as HGTV makes it seem :)

    Just to be contrary I like hex for tactical. Yeah, that's right, I said it. What?!

    ReplyDelete