Monday, February 11, 2013

Make-it Monday: Map, River Crossing

I swear, one of these weeks, I'll make something other than a map. I've been itching to do some papercraft or mini-painting, but the ol' homestead is looking a little post-apocalyptic at the moment, leaving me with no place to set up.

Two of my players managed to decode the goblinoid scribblings found on last week's map and were given bonus XP as promised.

For this week, I decided to try out some fancy new artist pens I picked up. I drew up a simple encounter map for a river crossing where my last session ended. This otherwise pastoral scene was made decidedly less so when my players discovered that the bridge was rigged with arcane blast discs. That happened about half a second before their scouty types got blasted by a lightning-hurling mage who emerged from the cover of an invisibility spell to mark the cliffhanger end of the session.


I'm kinda digging the pens. I think I may run with it. It adds a bit of painterliness to an otherwise old-school map.

Oh, I also set up a page with a list of all my Make-it Mondays as they progress.

6 comments:

  1. Oh yea, that's looking good. Really nice job on the trees and cliffs. Very 3D. Also how you "built up" the grey on the bridge. Looks like stone work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks! I was actually feeling a bit unsure about the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. stoopid newb question: where do you find paper like that? I just use plain old graph paper, but I like the bold lines every 5 x 5

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be perfectly honest, I have no idea. I'm pretty sure I found a pad of it among a bunch of my old art supplies from high school. I'm guessing I originally snagged it from my dad, who is an engineer... but that doesn't help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh! I just found an awesome printable graph paper generator at http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/multiwidth/

    If you set the largest line weight to 1, leave the smallest as .15 and set them to 5 per inch and 1 per inch respectively, you get a really nice, clean grid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just stumbled on your site from a link from the A to Z list. I must say, your maps are amazing! I don't game myself, but I did develop an outdoor game similar to capture the flag, only longer and with more survival and strategy.

    ReplyDelete