Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Goal for Lucky '13: Make a thing a week

2013 baby! What could go wrong!?

Welcome to 2013 dear readers and the compulsory resolutions/goals post. 2012 was an incredibly busy year for me outside of the blog-o-sphere. I took my first international trip in over a decade, completed a major two year long project at work*. I was featured in my first half-hour TV special. And the fiancee and I got rolling on our wedding planning.

Within the confines of this blog, things were a bit more modest spotty. I completed my second April A to Z challenge and passed 50 subscribers. Other than that, I've been a bit of a slacker. I don't want to be a slacker, but real life and actual creative pursuits need to come before writing about creative pursuits. I love this little blog though and don't intend to stop. However, if I am going to up the consistency and quality of my posts, I'm going to have to get more efficient about things. I need to make my blog work with, not against my real world escapades and goals.

This brings me to my one blogging goal for 2013.

Make a thing a week

The process by which this goal will be implemented is as follows:

  1. Make a thing
  2. Post about the thing
  3. Profit
By "thing", I mean anything game-related or ROFL Initiative-appropriate. It can be a map, a character sketch, a template for a particular game management tool, a painted mini, a papercraft set or whatever. It just needs to be something that requires some creative effort and that has potential to improve something beyond the digital world. Note that the thing can be created digitally. It just needs to extend beyond. A digitally created map adds depth and visual assistance to the real world social activity that is my game night.

I feel like the posts that share something I actually made are some of my most satisfying. I want more of that feeling. I also want something that will help pull me away from the video games as my main solo activity. So, hopefully by implementing this one blogging goal, I will be in a better position to meet some of my non-blogging goals.

Depending on the effort required to make this happen during the first quarter of 2013, I may attempt to ramp things up in April and make my A to Z Challenge a "thing" a day. Right now the idea of making a collection of mini-maps for locations from A to Z sounds like a fun tweak on the challenge. Not a lot of writing, but a heck of a lot of drawing and scanning.

But let's start with the weekly things and see how it goes. My plan is to post on my first thing this coming Monday.


*there are still major unfinished elements that are awaiting funding before we can produce. I am anticitpating/dreading the "hey, funding came through! Can you have everything finished by the end of the week?" order that may or may not come.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait. You have my permission to use/repost my nerdatorim pics of the Westerlands map...you made it and allowed me to share it. So what if it was last year? I hear you about the video games as a time suck - I considered giving away Skyrim, but everyone I would have given it to plays Xbox, not PS3. Skyrim...so awesome you can't give it away :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, first thing is in the pipe and goes live tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete