Sunday, May 1, 2011

Z is for ZOMG! I did it!



Well, I made it all the way through April's A to Z blog challenge, and I only finished a day late, due largely to a very busy business trip right at the end of the month. I shall now summarize my A to Z experience.

I decided to participate in the challenge the day before it began, largely because I had never heard of it before, and I wanted to see if I could commit to blogging every day. I think I was successful in stepping up the frequency of my posts. However, now that the challenge is over, I plan to return to my usual MWF posting schedule... beginning this Wednesday, because I need a break!

Other reflections:
  • I found that having a prompt... even a letter of the alphabet can provide excellent inspiration for a blog series. I may seek out some other blog carnivals to aid me in a similar capacity.
  • I began the month without a theme other than posting about tabletop rpg gaming. However, as the month progressed, I came to realize that the vast majority of my posts dealt with tools, techniques and tricks that GMs can use to better run their game... with the exception of "K for Kobolds" -though every game is better with kobolds!
  • I realized that it is not necessary to be profound with every blog post. Sometimes you just have to get something down on paper (on internet?). The best blog posts tend to come about unexpectedly, and if you keep writing, they will eventually show up.
  • If I decide to participate in the A to Z challenge next year, I will definitely try to pre-plan my posts as much as possible.

Some Statistics:
  • I began the month with 4 public followers and ended it with 20. A 500% increase in readership is a rousing success in my book!
  • On the flip side, I at least doubled the number of blogs that I follow and broadened my spectrum to include a couple excellent blogs about writing and at least one about sci-fi.
  • I posted 29 posts in April vs. 18 in March
  • I had 50% of all my page views since my blog started in the last month! I really started posting to my blog in February (though I first started it last summer)
I definitely enjoyed my time with the April A to Z challenge, though I am also very glad that it is over for the year. How was your experience with the month?

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing. Quite the experience, wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, you did it. It ended up being a challenge, for sure. I think we're all ready for a break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I'm definitely worn out... though that could also be from spending all day yesterday clearing a garden that hadn't been tended to since well before I moved into my current house.

    ReplyDelete