Monday, May 2, 2011

Done!


Okay, I couldn't wait until Wednesday when I saw this little bit of brilliance in my blog roll this morning.

Mike Shea has an excellent post up about being "done"...or rather, building a habit of having players in a tabletop RPG say, "Done!" at the end of their turn. I have to say, I think this is a pretty brilliant little idea. It's so simple, but has the potential to do away with the "Oh wait, can I just do this other thing..." statements that disrupt the flow of a combat round in D&D.

The post touches on a broader challenge that every GM faces on occasion -building good habits at the gaming table. It's amazing how little changes -even as small as a word- can have a tremendous effect on a game experience.

Saying "done!" is the D&D equivalent of taking your hand off of a chess piece. I may have to try out the technique this Thursday in my own game.

2 comments:

  1. That really is a really good idea. Hope it works out great in your game. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I know I hate it when I have a multi-step plan for what I want to do on my turn & before I've finished the next player in the rotation jumps in with what they want to do or someone else asks a question that derails the round & then I get side-tracked & wind up having to proclaim out of turn "by the way I loaded my crossbow during my last turn!!!" So frustrating! Having an end of turn indicator would definitely help!

    ReplyDelete