Thursday, April 14, 2011

L is for Legos!

Yes, I am a grown man with a master's degree and a full-time job... and yes, I still play with Legos! As a solidly middle-class GM, without a lot of money to blow on gaming minis, paint supplies, etc. I often turn to creative, low-cost solutions when trying to represent things on my gaming table. (For those of you who are unfamiliar with D&D, the game does not come with game pieces)

One of my favorite techniques for whipping up custom characters, beasties and objects is to build them from Lego. I keep an assortment of Lego mini-figure parts in my DM toolkit so that I can put together characters on the fly. I also have a bin of bricks near the gaming table for creating other impromptu elements.

Bucket o' heads!


Here are just a few of the many guest appearances Legos have made in my game:


Lego treant is full of EVIL!




I hear their vision is based on movement.
Maybe if we don't move, it wont eat us.


Landshark!  
When faced with a celestial giant bee, don't stab it...
you'll just make it mad.

1 comment:

  1. wow, you could use the bricks on the maps to make cover, concealment, and obstacles too. great idea.

    ReplyDelete